Senior Chemist - Surface Chemistry/Materials/Polymers
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Salary: Competitive salary
A expanding Medical Devices company in the North East is looking for a Senior Chemist to join their Scientific team.
The company carry out R&D within the in vitro diagnostics, immunoassay and microfluidics sectors. The key aspect of the Senior Chemist role is to aid new product development within materials and polymers, this includes being able to characterise materials and understand surface chemistry. The successful candidate will have good communication skills, combined with industrial experience, making them happy to communicate with external companies and suppliers.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
• To be a laboratory based Senior Chemist, within the Chemistry team located in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
• To utilise in-depth knowledge of materials chemistry & chemical synthesis, including surface characterization techniques, to develop and optimise product development.
• To maintain and establish working relationships with a number of external partners, service providers and suppliers.
• To provide pivotal technical input on external and internal projects.
• To lead and support their own project team to guarantee delivery of distinct and trackable objectives.
• Produce high quality projects plans, experimental strategies and technical reports.
• To report to and support the Chemistry Team Lead.
• Follow and implement strict safety procedures.
• Work within the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards.
• Contribute and support multiple interdisciplinary projects and effectively interact with the other Technical and Development teams.
• Follow and produce detailed lab SOPs.
• Ability to maintain lab equipment as well as trouble shoot technical problems.
• Record results accurately in a Laboratory Book in accordance with Company policy/GDP.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
• A PhD (or equivalent) in chemistry or related chemical / materials science.
• In-depth understanding of materials science, surface chemistry and polymer synthesis.
• A minimum of 3 years relevant industrial experience.
• Experience in managing multiple external partner relationships.
• Prior experience within a role entailing new product development (NPD).
• Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and COSHH.
• A track record for project leaderships and coordination with other scientists.
• Meticulous record keeping and a willingness to learn new skills and techniques.
• Experience in working to very tight deadlines across multiple projects.
• Excellent communication/IT skills and the ability to work in an ever changing environment.
• Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
• An understanding of the molecular device market.
• Previous experience of infectious disease diagnostics.
• Familiarity with global regulatory requirements that pertain to product development and IVD manufacturing (e.g. CE IVD mark, FDA, etc.).
Please apply below if you are interested.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove that they are legally entitled to work in the UK. CY Partners Recruitment Ltd, trading as CY Partners is an Employment Business/Agency.
Apply for this job
Already Registered? Login here
If you are interested in this job position please feel free to call us on 0191 477 4733 and ask for Anna Hastie or alternatively fill in the contact form below: