Downstream Scientist (Biologics)
Biotechnology Life Sciences
Location North East England
CY Partners are currently looking to recruit two Downstream Processing Scientists to join the Biologics division of a North East based Biotechnology Research & Manufacturing enterprise. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a reputable and innovative organisation in a growing market sector.
One of these roles is available on a permanent basis and the other on a fixed term contract until February 2020.
• To maintain consistent and documented compliance with all relevant Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE), quality and best practice requirements.
• To design and perform experiments to develop and optimise recovery and purification processes for the manufacture of novel biopharmaceutical products.
• To perform data analysis and construct models to describe the processes used in the recovery and purification of biopharmaceutical products.
• To evaluate and develop new processing technologies for use in the downstream processing of biopharmaceutical products.
• To manage the scale up of downstream processes (up to pilot scale) to provide proof of successful process development/optimisation.
• To stay abreast of the current state of the art in downstream processing and take ownership for introducing new technologies into the business
• To present and formally report experimental conclusions and supporting data for internal peer review and submission to clients, to agreed timescales and standards.
• To actively engage in hazard studies / SRA studies and discussions, as appropriate to role level.
• To setup, plan and execute experimental / pilot scale runs and analyse, interpret and report the results of these within agreed timescales and standards and in accordance with project requirements.
• To be responsible for the maintenance and calibration of equipment to ensure it operates in a safe and efficient manner and is available to meet customer needs.
Candidates looking to apply to these roles should:
• Be educated to a minimum BSc/BEng in Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering or a related subject.
• Further MSc/MEng or PhD qualifications would also be highly desirable
• An understanding of working to GMP standards to produce Biopharmaceuticals
• Extensive experience of performing techniques for the purification of therapeutic biologics, centrifugation, filtration and chromatography and for protein analysis, HPLC methods, SDS PAGE & ELISA
• A strong work ethic and the ability to contribute effectively as part of a diverse team
• Excellent generic IT skills, and some experience of using computational tools to develop process models
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit your most up to date CV ASAP and if you have further questions on the role, feel free to contact Graham at CY Partners.