Statistical Data Scientist (Chemical Engineering)
Location Anywhere in the UK, London, North East England
CY Partners are currently looking to recruit an innovative and forward-thinking Data Scientist, with background in Chemical Engineering, to join a thriving Technology company based in Middlesbrough*, on a permanent basis.
We are looking for a self-starting, PhD qualified candidate (or equivalent), who can work in a cutting-edge R&D team across multiple disciplines and deliver results for customers through Big Data and Industry 4.0 Technologies.
You will be given plenty of responsibility as part of this diverse and challenging role in which you will mainly be required to combine process engineering knowledge with data science methodologies to develop Diagnostics and Instrumentation for the company’s Portfolio.
*Please note that although the company would prefer the successful candidate to be based in the North East, there is potential to be based near London or other parts of the UK if the desired candidate prefers.
Key aspects will include the following tasks:
- Develop engineering and mathematical modelling algorithms that ingest, analyse and collate large quantities of data from sensors, logs, quality metrics in order to develop value added diagnostic and predictive solutions.
- Understand, model and develop the concept of a digital twin as relevant to a process plant.
- Be comfortable with modern statistical methods operating on large data sets, to develop bespoke algorithms, and work with off-the-shelf solution packages to find the optimal solution for the application.
- Provide Chemical Engineering expertise on related projects as needed for the business and be able to collaborate in cross-functional teams.
- Doctorate or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent industrial experience, with significant statistical experience
- Experience in analysing and applying statistical tools on large data sets using R, Python or Matlab.
- Solid knowledge of standard statistical techniques in regression analysis such as linear and logistic models, classification methods such k-means analysis, including usage experience, fundamental understanding of usage and limitations
- General understanding of Petrochemical refinery units and operation methods
- Fundamental understanding of principals of separation processes such as Distillation/Fractionation, De-salters
- Comfortable in engaging with external and internal customers
- Ability to communicate complex concepts to technical and non-technical audience
- Alongside a PhD any further PDRA or Industrial experience would be desirable
- Simulation and design experience (ideally with AspenTech Suite of tools)
- Awareness of Plant Unit operations: Process Safety, Control & Optimization
- Experience in developing numerical models, and building on existing tools
- Broad knowledge of Oil & gas operations: Upstream and Downstream
Salary for this role is negotiable depending on experience and the company will also offer relocation packages if required.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your most up to date CV ASAP and for further information feel free to contact Graham at CY Partners.